WDT Unveils POLARIS Revolutionary Dual-Pol Weather Radar Hazardous Weather Depiction Solution with Full Super-Resolution
By : Weather Decision Technologies
Posted June 20, 2011 09:01 to News
New Nationwide NWS Radar Technology is a “Game Changer” in Terms of Depicting Where Rain, Hail, and Snow are Falling and How Much Has Fallen.
Oklahoma City and Norman, OK – June 20, 2011. Weather industry leader Weather Decision Technologies is demonstrating its state-of-the-science Dual-Pol Radar Suite of Automated Analysis Algorithms dubbed POLARIS (Polarimetric Radar Identification System) within its best-selling interactive iMap® weather map. The POLARIS Dual-Pol solution revolutionizes the ability to automatically determine the exact location, and how hard, it is raining, snowing, hailing and even determines where birds and bugs are flying, and other severe weather hazards such as tornadic “debris balls”. POLARIS is WDT’s proprietary, patent-pending solution, based upon the latest research and provides full super-resolution. This equates to 2X better resolution than products delivered through the National Weather Service NEXRAD Information Dissemination Service (NIDS), and greater accuracy for determining precipitation rates and amounts.
POLARIS is set to greatly enhance the nation’s broadcasters’ ability to improve television weather programming by offering highly accurate, crisp depictions of precipitation types in WDT’s iMapLive! on-air broadcasting tool. As each NWS radar site is upgraded to dual-pol capability throughout 2011 and 2012, POLARIS will immediately leverage the new dual-polarized signals within its advanced suite of processing algorithms.
“Current U.S. weather radars transmit and receive horizontally polarized signals. This maximizes the radar’s sensitivity to liquid hydrometeors,” said Dr. Chris Porter, Chief Scientist, Radar Applications, at WDT. “With the new dual polarimetric upgrade, weather radars transmit and receive both horizontally and vertically polarized signals. This provides the capability of detecting and differentiating between rain, snow, hail, birds, bugs, ground clutter and other radar targets. This also provides significantly improved accuracy of precipitation rates, allowing better detection of flash flood and heavy snow events, helping to determine the exact location of large hail and delineating areas of freezing rain with amazing accuracy,” said Porter.
POLARIS will be on display at the 39th American Meteorological Society (AMS) Conference on Broadcast Meteorology, taking place in Oklahoma City this week. This is the first time that the National Weather Service (NWS) Dual-Pol radar data has been shown by a private company on a fully interactive Google-based map.
Beyond POLARIS, WDT is also demonstrating its iMapWeather Radio iPhone application and platform launched last month. Since launch, the mobile application has delivered over 3 million emergency alerts for severe weather, using its unique “follow-me” alerting technology for text and voice alerts, based on sophisticated location-based services. iMapWeather Radio is being presented as part of a paper on weather alerting systems and Location-Based Services being delivered by WDT at the affiliated AMS Conference on Weather Warnings and Communication.
The company’s Forecast Override technology for interactive iMap sites will again be on display, offering on-air meteorologists the ability to override automated weather forecasts using their own local knowledge and expertise and having those forecasts be used for on-air, on-line and on-the-go mobile applications. Hurricane products for on-air, online, and on-the-go mobile applications will also be on display, as well as the company’s unique iMapSocial Facebook solutions for broadcasters.
About Weather Decision Technologies, Inc. (WDT)
WDT's iMap® services provide dynamic interactive and mobile weather mapping solutions for the world's leading local media and Internet companies. WDT is a global leader in providing state-of-the-science weather detection, nowcasting, and forecasting systems. http://www.wdtinc.com and www.weatherforensics.com.
Matthew Piette, WDT
0 Comments - comments rss
Add a comment
Latest from News
- Latest iMap® Weather Radio helps individuals prepare for the dangerous storm season upon us
- AgriCharts partners with WDT® to provide iMap® dynamic and interactive weather content
- HailExpress HD™ Offers Hail Reports at Lightning Speed
- iMap Weather Radio Proven To Be Life Saver
- WDT Acquires Base Velocity's Best-Selling RadarScope® Suite of Apps, Expands Mobile Development Team
- Weather Decision Technologies and Earth Networks Partner to Power Advanced Lightning and Severe Weather Alerting Solutions
- iMapWeather Radio and RadarScope Apps Recommended Last Minute Gifts
- WDT to Acquire Base Velocity's Best-Selling RadarScope Suite of Apps, Hires Mobile Development Team
- Realtree Offers Free Outdoor Weather App For iPhone, iPod and iPad
- Metro 50 Award Goes to Weather Decision Technologies, Inc. for the 7th Time
- Hurricane Irene—Forecasting the Impact of Historic Rainfall Levels in iMap
- Hurricane Irene Live NHC Briefings begin Today, Thursday, August 25, 2011
- Live Video Briefings from the National Hurricane Center Now Accessible on Over 600 iMap® Interactive Local Media Hurricane Maps and on iPhones Nationwide
- WDT Launches Hurricane Weatherman—the World's First Reality Weather Game for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch
- Aerialogics Offers Integrated Property-by-Property Hail Data with their Aerial Roof Measurement Reports
- HailTrax Celebrates 10 Years as Gold Standard for Hail Verification for Roofers and Insurance Carriers
- Location-Based Services Helps Power iMapWeather Radio App, Delivering Voice and Text Emergency Alerts Based On A Users Exact Location
- WDT Unveils POLARIS Revolutionary Dual-Pol Weather Radar Hazardous Weather Depiction Solution with Full Super-Resolution
- Be Prepared this Hurricane Season: iMap®Weather Radio App for Hurricanes Now Available for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch
- Gearing Up for an Active Hurricane Season, iMap® Hurricane Solution Gives Local Media and Enterprises Vital Tools for News Coverage and Resource Protection
- iMap Weather Radio app aids spread of weather crisis data
- iMapWeather Radio FREE Day Hits 185,000 Downloads
- New Severe Weather Warning App, iMapWeather Radio, Free For One Day Only on May 19th
- iMap®Weather Radio App for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch Now Available
- iMapStream Live on CNN
- Weather Decision Technologies Turbocharges Broadcasters’ Online, Live, Mobile, and Social Weather Content at NAB 2011
- New iMap®Weather Radio App for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch Unveiled at CTIA
- Aerialogics Selects Weather Decision Technologies, Inc. as Technology Partner; Aerial Measurement Reports to Include ‘HailHistory’ Weather Forensics Data
- WDT, Coaches Aid and Touchstone Energy Cooperatives of Oklahoma Partner to Provide iMap® Live Streaming Video to High Schools
- Managing Hail Storms Just Got Easier for Roofers