Oklahoma forensic meteorologists look backward, not forward
By : Jennifer Palmer, NewsOk.com
Posted January 03, 2011 15:52 to Articles
Career spotlight on Matt Gaffner, a forensic meteorologist at Weather Decisions Technologies in Norman.
“It's the exact opposite of what everybody thinks meteorology is,” he said.
Using radar maps, weather data and sometimes unreliable first-hand accounts, Gaffner determines what areas were hit by hail, snow, lightning or a hurricane and creates a visual representation of the storm.
Those maps are then provided to insurance companies and attorneys.
Gaffner said his position is often misunderstood. “My grandparents still want to know when I'll be on TV,” he said.
Most meteorologists predict the weather, but Matt Gaffner waits until the storm has passed.
Forensic meteorologists attempt to answer problems such as when did the highest hurricane winds occur at a particular building, was the sun in the eyes of the driver or was it cloudy at the time of an accident, or was lightning present when a house caught fire, according to the American Meteorological Society.
They are sometimes deposed in court cases or asked to testify as expert witnesses.
Gaffner said some of his more unusual cases involve dead cattle and whether a lightning strike could be responsible.
Though he spends most work days at his desk, viewing weather data on a computer with a dual monitor, the hours are unpredictable. Spring and summer coincide with hurricane and tornado season, requiring longer days, he said.
“We're busy when the weather is busy,” Gaffner said. A storm could happen on a holiday weekend or interrupt a planned summer vacation.
He and the other meteorologists at Weather Decision Technologies analyze storms all over the country, but if one blows through town, expect the office to clear out. They go storm chasing for fun.See Article on NewsOk.com:
0 Comments - comments rss
Add a comment
Latest from Articles
- Latest iMap® Weather Radio helps individuals prepare for the dangerous storm season upon us
- AgriCharts partners with WDT® to provide iMap® dynamic and interactive weather content
- HailExpress HD™ Offers Hail Reports at Lightning Speed
- iMap Weather Radio Proven To Be Life Saver
- WDT Acquires Base Velocity's Best-Selling RadarScope® Suite of Apps, Expands Mobile Development Team
- Weather Decision Technologies and Earth Networks Partner to Power Advanced Lightning and Severe Weather Alerting Solutions
- iMapWeather Radio and RadarScope Apps Recommended Last Minute Gifts
- WDT to Acquire Base Velocity's Best-Selling RadarScope Suite of Apps, Hires Mobile Development Team
- Realtree Offers Free Outdoor Weather App For iPhone, iPod and iPad
- Metro 50 Award Goes to Weather Decision Technologies, Inc. for the 7th Time
- Hurricane Irene—Forecasting the Impact of Historic Rainfall Levels in iMap
- Hurricane Irene Live NHC Briefings begin Today, Thursday, August 25, 2011
- Live Video Briefings from the National Hurricane Center Now Accessible on Over 600 iMap® Interactive Local Media Hurricane Maps and on iPhones Nationwide
- WDT Launches Hurricane Weatherman—the World's First Reality Weather Game for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch
- Aerialogics Offers Integrated Property-by-Property Hail Data with their Aerial Roof Measurement Reports
- HailTrax Celebrates 10 Years as Gold Standard for Hail Verification for Roofers and Insurance Carriers
- Location-Based Services Helps Power iMapWeather Radio App, Delivering Voice and Text Emergency Alerts Based On A Users Exact Location
- WDT Unveils POLARIS Revolutionary Dual-Pol Weather Radar Hazardous Weather Depiction Solution with Full Super-Resolution
- Be Prepared this Hurricane Season: iMap®Weather Radio App for Hurricanes Now Available for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch
- Gearing Up for an Active Hurricane Season, iMap® Hurricane Solution Gives Local Media and Enterprises Vital Tools for News Coverage and Resource Protection
- iMap Weather Radio app aids spread of weather crisis data
- iMapWeather Radio FREE Day Hits 185,000 Downloads
- New Severe Weather Warning App, iMapWeather Radio, Free For One Day Only on May 19th
- iMap®Weather Radio App for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch Now Available
- iMapStream Live on CNN
- Weather Decision Technologies Turbocharges Broadcasters’ Online, Live, Mobile, and Social Weather Content at NAB 2011
- New iMap®Weather Radio App for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch Unveiled at CTIA
- Aerialogics Selects Weather Decision Technologies, Inc. as Technology Partner; Aerial Measurement Reports to Include ‘HailHistory’ Weather Forensics Data
- WDT, Coaches Aid and Touchstone Energy Cooperatives of Oklahoma Partner to Provide iMap® Live Streaming Video to High Schools
- Managing Hail Storms Just Got Easier for Roofers