WDT Marks 10 Years
By : Andrew Knittle, Norman Transcript
Posted May 23, 2010 22:01 to Articles
NORMAN — Ten years after starting off in a business incubator behind a Taco Bueno on Lindsey Street, Norman-based Weather Decision Technologies is still going strong.
The company, founded by five former employees of meteorological research organizations in Norman, provides interactive weather maps and other weather predicting applications to “local media outlets across the nation, in every major market,” president and CEO Michael Eilts said during a 10-year anniversary celebration Tuesday at WDT’s office in Norman, 201 David L. Boren Blvd., on the University of Oklahoma campus.
“One of our core products right now is local media content,” he said. “We’re on 600 websites across the nation...about 50 million map views every month.”
Eilts said the company also is selling weather systems to nations without sophisticated weather prediction technologies in place, including Italy, Dubai and Indonesia.
The company, which has grown steadily over the past 10 years, currently employs 70 people, including workers in Atlanta, Austin, Texas, and a representative in Washington D.C.
Eilts, who worked at the National Severe Storms Laboratory in Norman for more than 15 years before founding WDT, said the company was sold in 2008 and is currently owned by venture capitalists.
OU grads important to WDT
Eilts, who has three degrees from the University of Oklahoma, said he believes in hiring his fellow Sooners.
“I would say over half...maybe even three-fourths...are OU grads,” he said. “And we currently have eight (OU) students working here as interns.”
Eilts also said staying put in Norman — specifically on the OU campus — is a good thing for business.
“It’s a great place to be, obviously,” he said from his office, which has a view of the massive National Weather Center. “We partner with these guys (the NWC) across the street. It’s a deal closer, for sure.”
To see more of WDT’s products or learn more about the company, visit them online at www.wdtinc.com.
0 Comments - comments rss
Add a comment
Latest from Articles
- Latest iMap® Weather Radio helps individuals prepare for the dangerous storm season upon us
- AgriCharts partners with WDT® to provide iMap® dynamic and interactive weather content
- HailExpress HD™ Offers Hail Reports at Lightning Speed
- iMap Weather Radio Proven To Be Life Saver
- WDT Acquires Base Velocity's Best-Selling RadarScope® Suite of Apps, Expands Mobile Development Team
- Weather Decision Technologies and Earth Networks Partner to Power Advanced Lightning and Severe Weather Alerting Solutions
- iMapWeather Radio and RadarScope Apps Recommended Last Minute Gifts
- WDT to Acquire Base Velocity's Best-Selling RadarScope Suite of Apps, Hires Mobile Development Team
- Realtree Offers Free Outdoor Weather App For iPhone, iPod and iPad
- Metro 50 Award Goes to Weather Decision Technologies, Inc. for the 7th Time
- Hurricane Irene—Forecasting the Impact of Historic Rainfall Levels in iMap
- Hurricane Irene Live NHC Briefings begin Today, Thursday, August 25, 2011
- Live Video Briefings from the National Hurricane Center Now Accessible on Over 600 iMap® Interactive Local Media Hurricane Maps and on iPhones Nationwide
- WDT Launches Hurricane Weatherman—the World's First Reality Weather Game for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch
- Aerialogics Offers Integrated Property-by-Property Hail Data with their Aerial Roof Measurement Reports
- HailTrax Celebrates 10 Years as Gold Standard for Hail Verification for Roofers and Insurance Carriers
- Location-Based Services Helps Power iMapWeather Radio App, Delivering Voice and Text Emergency Alerts Based On A Users Exact Location
- WDT Unveils POLARIS Revolutionary Dual-Pol Weather Radar Hazardous Weather Depiction Solution with Full Super-Resolution
- Be Prepared this Hurricane Season: iMap®Weather Radio App for Hurricanes Now Available for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch
- Gearing Up for an Active Hurricane Season, iMap® Hurricane Solution Gives Local Media and Enterprises Vital Tools for News Coverage and Resource Protection
- iMap Weather Radio app aids spread of weather crisis data
- iMapWeather Radio FREE Day Hits 185,000 Downloads
- New Severe Weather Warning App, iMapWeather Radio, Free For One Day Only on May 19th
- iMap®Weather Radio App for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch Now Available
- iMapStream Live on CNN
- Weather Decision Technologies Turbocharges Broadcasters’ Online, Live, Mobile, and Social Weather Content at NAB 2011
- New iMap®Weather Radio App for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch Unveiled at CTIA
- Aerialogics Selects Weather Decision Technologies, Inc. as Technology Partner; Aerial Measurement Reports to Include ‘HailHistory’ Weather Forensics Data
- WDT, Coaches Aid and Touchstone Energy Cooperatives of Oklahoma Partner to Provide iMap® Live Streaming Video to High Schools
- Managing Hail Storms Just Got Easier for Roofers